Sunday, August 17, 2008

Timpanogos Hike

A group of guys I fly RC planes (full contact combat) with thought it would be fun to hike to the top of Mt. Timpanogos and fly our planes. I hiked Timp back when I was a kid and remember it being very long and steep. Tyler hiked it last fall with the scouts and thought it was "a little steep at the end butreally long and hot walking back to the cars". Tyler and I planned to go originally. Then everyone in the family decided they wanted to go. This presented a problem in that Brenner is too young to make the hike (I might be wrong here) and the sod for our yard was scheduled to be installed the day of the hike. So Charisse stayed home with Brenner while Tyler, Whitney and I went hiking.

Aug 11, 2008

The day started at 4 am at the Timpanooke trail head. Whitney was very excited about the start time :)

Jon and Whitney near the pass into Timpanogos Basis (about 2.5 -3 hrs into the hike)

The wild flowers were in full bloom.


The view from Timpanogos Basis. Yup, the summit is just behind that towering peak... uggg, I was already tired by now.


Jon, Tyler and Whitney at Timp Saddle. First peak at Utah Valley below. The summit is still another hour away.


Summit! 11,750 ft the hard way (ok, the first 7,000 were in the truck).


Whitney doing what Whitney does best.


The cliff just below Whitney. It's a long ways down.

Panorama.


Moose.

Waterfall just above Scout Falls.
The lower half of the trail is a jungle.

Here's a couple videos of the trip:



2008 UFO Timp Hike from Jon Finch on Vimeo.



2008 UFO Timpanogos Hike (the flying part) from Jon Finch on Vimeo.

We had a blast and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I was a little worried about the hike (look at me... I could be the stay fresh puffin boy). Whitney and I were sore when we got home. Tyler said he was fine. It was a great way to spend a Monday. Tyler and Whitney had such a good time they talk about climbing more mountains...

4 comments:

Andrew and Charonne- said...

I am so happy you have a blog now!!! I will teach you how to add music a nd cool back grounds call me and i will walk you through it!

Tiffany said...

woohoo! We have another blogger. When we were in Utah we hiked to Timpanogas cave. I thought I was cool. Now you make us look like chumps.

Jody and Dave Lindsay said...

Jon-
That was the coolest video embed I've seen yet! Did you do that without a Mac? Beautiful pictures, incredible memories....

Tyler Finch said...

Thanks everyone. No Mac. Just Windows Media Maker that comes free with Windows.

Jon